Ann,

It really depends.

In my about 5 years of using Epson R2880, I've had 3-4 bad
cartridges:
1) those showing being empty after the first page printed,
and
2) those showing being empty suddenly after (and while still) having
about half of a cartridge.
All those were genuine Epson cartridges purchased from Atlex.

In one case it was a cartridge far before the expiration date,
in two cases, those were cartrdiges close to the expiration date.
I don't know if the expiration date has any effect and indeed increases
the probability of the cartridge being bad, or that is a manufacturing
defect. (IRC, all faulty cartridges were from different batches, and
some of different colors.)

Also, in principle, my understanding is that the old cartridge may have
higher probability for the the jet to get plugged with something (dry
pigment?). That happened to some of my cartridges, especially after a
long break without printing. It goes away if you go through one or a few
cleaning cycles (done via the utility in the printer driver), but you
waste some considerable amount of ink in the process.

At the same time, I just used a cartridge that was about 1 year beyond
the expiration date, and had no problem with it. And some of my
current cartridges are also beyond their expiration point.
No problem so far.

Igor