Rogier van der Peijl wrote:
> 1. Can anyone suggest a good film for night photography, the subjects
> are illuminated, I will not be using flash and because of slow shutter
> speed of course a tripod.

> 2. does anyone have experience with using UV film? (and of course can
> you tell something about the experience)

Hi Rogier,

1.  Depends what you're shooting, and probably what the illumination is.
Fuji (at least the consumer stuff) seems to be better at capturing blues and
greens, while Kodak (again, consumer stuff) seems to be better at capturing
reds and browns.  Here are three night shots shot on Fuji consumer print
film, just to give you an idea.  (The first was shot on Fuji Super G+ 800
and scanned from the print, while the others were shot on Superia 400 and
scanned from the corresponding negatives.  The third one is actually a very
short hand-held exposure.)  I'd probably pick a Kodak emulsion if I was
trying to capture something like a patch of red stellar nebulosity in the
night sky, and I'd ideally pick a film with severe reciprocity failure if I
were attempting to capture a meteor shower by shooting very long
(several-minute) exposures of the night sky.  Hope these examples at least
give you an idea of what the Fuji consumer stuff is capable of.

http://pug.komkon.org/01feb/7sisters.html
http://pug.komkon.org/01aug/mars.html
http://pug.komkon.org/02mar/diner23.html

2.  I'm curious what you're trying to capture in the UV.  You realize of
course that unless you have very expensive and specialized quartz or fused
silica lenses, you won't get very much (or any) UV intensity at the film
plane.  Are you actually trying to capture visible-wavelength fluorescence
caused by irradiating your subjects with UV light?  For this, conventional
visible-wavelength color film should work fine.  Otherwise, conventional
silver halide B&W film will respond to UV irradiation, but you only get a
B&W image, and of course, there's still the limitation with the lenses.

Hope this helps,

Bill Peifer
Rochester, NY