Our first computer that was purchased (not made from parts acquired
from government surplus), was a Gateway 2000, 486, around 1992ish.
That was back when they were cool for their ads in computer magazines
and the towers were 3 feet tall.  Pretty sure that it was around
$3000.

My first laptop, I bought in '96, cost $3000.  The laptop i bought
last year, $500.

--
David Parsons Photography
http://www.davidparsonsphoto.com