Yes, John, I totally agree. I upgraded some time ago & have not looked back. Perhaps MS should offer free upgrades?

Alan C

-----Original Message----- From: John Celio
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2014 6:25 AM
To: PDML@pdml.net
Subject: Re: OT - the XP doomsday thing

Just to add my 2ยข: Windows XP is an incredibly old operating system by
today's standards. Yeah, Vista and Windows 8 were/are pretty awful,
but Windows 7 is great. You really don't need to fear upgrading to 7,
especially since you can install the XP virtual machine and run all
the old software you have for XP
(http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7).

7 is more secure and more powerful. XP is ancient and soon to be very
vulnerable. It's time to upgrade.

And hey, if you think your PCs are too old to run 7, modern desktops
are getting super cheap these days. New and refurb PCs of various
makes, models and capabilities show up on deal sites like Woot.com all
the time, and even made-to-order systems from HP and the like aren't
too costly anymore. They even brought back 7 because of the
unpopularity of 8.

On the other hand, you could go the route I took and build your own
system. My PC is three years old now, but when I built it, it was
comparable to high-end gaming systems yet cost about a third as much.
Systems with more reasonable specs are even cheaper.

Windows 7 is really the way to go. I've heard Microsoft is going to
bring back the Start menu for Windows 9, but that's still at least a
year off. If you don't want to be stuck with an ancient, unsupported
OS, look into upgrading while Windows 7 is still around.

John

---
is active.