On 4/21/2014 2:59 PM, Bob W-PDML wrote:
On 21 Apr 2014, at 19:56, "Steve Cottrell" <co...@seeingeye.tv> wrote:

On 21/4/14, Daniel J. Matyola, discombobulated, unleashed:

The NYPD has the best equipment in the world.  Here is their special
high speed pursuit vehicle for apprehending speeders:
Comments are invited.

Nice shot.

Assume it's for a parking control officer to pop out and ticket people?
Lucky you if you have them!

We have a new breed of big brother anti-parking measures here. Some
cities and councils have a adopted a method whereby a van with a CCTV
camera is aimed at parked vehicles at the side of the roads it patrols,
and it simply records vehicle identities through number plate
recognition technology that are parked illegally - on what we call
'double yellow lines' painted by the kerb.

So in the old days, you'd pull over and leave the engine running on
double yellows to use the ATM ten feet away, get your money, and be off
in 30 seconds or less - all the while mindful of a parking attendant.

Now, you've only got to be waiting at a traffic light to turn left
(equivalent right in USA/Canada/etc) and the van can nail you thinking
that you're parked. Not supposed to but that has happened.

Every car park now has number plate recognition cameras at the entrance
and if you overstay your allotted 90 minutes or whatever, the fine comes
through the mail.

Regarding CCTV cameras, I once used to be of the mind that 'if you've
done no wrong, then there's nothing to fear'. But this is getting
ridiculous - I have changed my opinion and now abhor this proliferation
of state-sponsored spying. It is atrocious.

Get thee to a bicycle shoppe.

If you ride a bicycle in city traffic around here you have to worry about a city bus running into you.