I can't help with your questions because shamefully I've only been to Italy a
couple of times. If I were in Abruzzo I would make an effort to go to l'Aquila
d'Abruzzo.

http://www.italia.it/en/discover-italy/abruzzo/laquila.html

Especially Scanno, which has some great photographic pedigree:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scanno,_Abruzzo

http://www.magnumphotos.com/C.aspx?VP3=SearchResult_VPage&VBID=2K1HZOET2MPYK&SMLS=1&RW=1017&RH=771

http://ilcentro.gelocal.it/foto-e-video/2013/04/08/fotogalleria/scanno-vista-dal-grande-fotografo-mario-giacomelli-1.6846260