The NY Auto Show is still a major industry event, although the Detroit show may
now overshadow it a bit in terms of new car introductions and international
press coverage. That’s partly a result of timing. NYIAS comes on the heels of
L.A., Detroit, and Geneva shows, so it’s starting from a tough spot. Highlights
at this  year’s NY show included the Camry and Sonata previews. The Alfa 4C was
also shown, and it’s a spectacular styling exercise, but only 850 cars will be
available in the U.S. market this year and those will be pricey. But it
provided a bit of excitement at the show.

My lack of enthusiasm is perhaps just a product of exhaustion — covering auto
shows for the Times is a lot of hard work for me, about 2,000 words of copy and
quite a few photos in just two days — coupled with too many years in the car
biz. After half a century, my fascination with automobiles has worn a bit thin.

Paul