Just a little update ... I managed to get the malware off my computer
without resorting to FDISK & starting all over again.

Took some aggressive hunting to find all of the instances where it had
it's hooks into my browser, including apparently it installed itself
into Internet Exploder, so I had to find it and eliminate it from there
as well before it would let go. Once I got it un-installed from
"Programs and Features", I ran regedit & searched for any of its aliases
there. Looks like I got them all.

Meanwhile ... I've got my Nikon Coolscan-IV up and running on this
system. Found the instructions on a Windoze7 forum with links to the
necessary .dll and .inf files. It requires a version of Nikon Scan that
was made for Windows Vista. I mention this because I remember several
other list members have Nikon Scanners.

Seems to be working well. I've started scanning old negatives,
particularly some of the rescued negatives & slides from when my
collection was almost completely destroyed by Hurricane Fran. It's not
much, but some of them might be usable. I already got something for the
May PUG.