So yesterday I take out the K-5II, with the FA 43mm, just to have make sure that nothing exciting happens anywhere around me. I make sure the mode dial is set to Hyperprogram, and low I actually see something that I want to photograph. Camera comes to eye, and I attempt to adjust the aperture, and nothing happens. Shutter speed nothing happens. WTF?

The moment of photographic greatness passes, and I didn't snap the shot. Check the mode dial did I set the camera to the green mode by accident? No it's still on P. Huh. Now I'm a bit worried, is the camera malfunctioning? So I start checking functions, well I can change AF points and exposure bias, functions unavailable in green mode.

Still stumped. So I dive into the menu and check the e-dial programming, I initially programed the M, P, Av, Tv and X, the modes I'm most likely to use, So that the rear dial sets the shutter speed and the front dial sets the aperture and the Green button resets to program line.

Needless to say, once that's done I don't need to change that again. When I set up the K20D like that over 4 years ago I never had to change it again.

As an aside, I'd like to set the unused dial in Av, Tv, and X to give direct access to a setting I'd find useful, but it seems Pentax doesn't allow what I'd really want, so I settle for everything else just more or less working the same, with those dials disabled. I don't use Tav and Sv modes enough (ever really), to actually reprogram them, and in B I have plenty of time setting up so the actual functions of the e-dials don't need muscle memory. As an aside to the aside, I also miss the one touch auto bracketing button from the K20D but I didn't use it often enough to carp about it, and it took me a bit of time to figure out how I ended up in auto ISO when I hadn't intended, I wasn't even sure how to get there intentionally since the explicit menu item on the ISO menu the K20D had isn't there either.

To make a long story short(er), for some unknown reason the P mode e-dial programming seems to have set itself to having both e-dials an the green button disabled in P mode.

The settings for e-dials in the other modes didn't change, only P mode. Has any one else had that happen? I'd thing the Dog was messing with me but he doesn't have opposable thumbs.

The closest thing I've had happen to this is shooting the *ist-Ds in freezing cold weather, after about 20 minutes outside all the shooting settings were reset to the defaults, probably because of a voltage fluctuation, and I ended up shooting a bunch of shots in Jpeg not RAW before I noticed. Only time I'd ever had that happen and I'm sure it was because the batteries weren't supplying enough power.

--
A newspaper is a device for making the ignorant more ignorant, and the crazy,
crazier.

     - H.L.Mencken