Good question, and I wasn't really sure myself.
Google Books is a great way to go back and look for instructions for
"old technology".
Here's an illustrated explanation of one use:
http://books.google.com/books?id=cM80AQAAMAAJ&dq=%22flooring%20saw%22&pg=RA9-PA100#v=onepage&q=%22flooring%20saw%22&f=false
or
http://goo.gl/XxzCnD