Hi,

Short answer:  someone who isn't a pro - which of course, only begs the
question...

That being said, I think of the French word "amateur", which means a "fan", as
in a sports fan.  If I'm not mistaken, the root of the word, is "aime" (or the
Latin equivalent), so an amateur is someone who does something for the love of
the activity.

I don't suppose that the foregoing helps us much, because one certainly can
love an activity even while making a living from it.  That's about all I have
to say on the matter;  I've probably muddied the waters rather than clarifying
them...

regards,
frank

--
"The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist
fears it is true." -J. Robert