My point is for what ever reason people aren't evenly distributed, populations tend to clump for what ever reason. Abandoned buildings are abandoned for lots of reasons not least of which is no one want's to live where those buildings are, and if you do a little research, you'll find that most of those brand new ghost cities in China are surrounded by farming villages full of people who can't afford to live in the brand new city, and every vibrant existing Chinese city has it's equivalent of a shanty town or slum where the newly arrived collect. They can't afford decent housing either.

If you shipped people to most of the abandoned buildings in in those pictures, you'd need guards to keep them there.

The problem you have in SA is that no matter what it looks like, it's easier to live in a shanty town than on the land. You implied so yourself.

On 6/28/2014 9:20 AM, Alan C wrote:
I think the Chinese are pre-empting urbanisation & don't want shanty towns as in so many parts of the world. Look again in a few years. Those empty cities will become new growth points. It also won't be long before the urbanised masses start demanding their "rights" more forcefully.

Many poor people around the world would be only to happy to live in abandoned buildings but they are denied access. In Africa, the land is becoming deserted through urbanisation. Hello shanty towns, because there is no money, unlike in China. Farming today is a serious business - the days of tenant farming on 6 acres is over. In SA, although the blacks say they want the land back (not the tribal land or state owned land, but rather the successful "white" owned farms), they don't really want to farm. What they are actually after is cash compensation so they can buy decent housing in the cities, but who will pay?

Alan C

-----Original Message----- From: P.J. Alling
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2014 6:32 PM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: OT - Abandoned places pics

The population density of the world isn't uniform.  There are huge empty
places.  I don't know how reliable the estimate or how reliable my
memory but, a few years ago I remember reading that if you took the
entire human population of the world, at the time, and transported them
the US states of Texas and Colorado, and divided up the land equally
among them, each person would have a bit in excess of 6 acres or a
little over 4000 square meters all to themselves.  6 acres by the way is
the traditional measure for enough land to feed a family in Ireland.

Now I wouldn't want to try to feed a family of four let alone a
traditional Irish Family on 6 acres in West Texas, but, there's plenty
of room for abandoned places.  The world isn't nearly as crowded as one
would think.

If you think old abandoned places are bad, what do you make of the "New"
abandoned places in China, they're still building empty cities there.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-ideas/inside-china8217s-ghost-cities/story-e6frfqd9-1226716277487