It was likely that the camera was locked up in some non-standard mode
where motors were powered inappropriately. For instance if the SR
circuit was malfunctioning the current drawn would likely be within
the spec of the battery but the SR system may not be able to
adequately dissipate the heat developed due to the fault.

--
Rob Studdert (Digital  Image Studio)
Tel: +61-418-166-870 UTC +10 Hours