I don't remember Hula Hoops in the 60s. I do remember them from the 50s,
particularly summer 1958.

My parents wouldn't buy one for us kids, but our carport was the only
shady place for kids to play in our neighborhood because my mom didn't
mind having a crowd of rowdy kids hanging around all day and so many of
my friends parents wouldn't allow them to have friends over to play at
their houses ... so I occasionally got to play with the hoops other kids
brought over.

I could keep it going for as long as my 8 year old attention span would
last or until I had to give it up to someone else.

I don't think I could keep it going that long today, and anyway I don't
have a carport to play on anymore.