On 7/19/2014 6:32 AM, Steve Cottrell wrote:
On 18/7/14, Richard Womer, discombobulated, unleashed:

Snide comment aside, I like the pic, especially the lighting of the
clouds. Was it really that purple color?

The camera was on auto white balance - kept giving me orange and red
results, so switched to daylight WB which was an improvement, the blue
end. I figured there's no real effective way to truly measure the WB of
lighting - the clouds have an influence as they are reflecting some of
the light from the town which will be generally tungsten - so any
tweaking to 'correct' for perceived imbalance is accepted in my book. I
generally went for the 'look' as I physically recall observing at the
time. This appeared to me to be bluey/purpally in nature so that is what
I settled for in the final image.

Many thanks.

If you want some fun reading, Google "color temperature of lightning".

I generally find that any *fixed* WB will work because in Camera Raw I'm
going to use the eye dropper tool to select some spot in the clouds that
I think should be more or less 18% gray and then sync the rest of them
to the first one.