Pentax has over the years seemed to become the most Japanese of the
Japanese camera companies. This camera (K-S1) seems intent on
recapturing the "smallest, lightest DSLR crown". Lightness seems to be
a big thing at Pentax. "Unbelievably small-size and light-weight
interchangeable lenses that are no burden to carry" is one of the "5
reasons to purchase Pentax" on the Ricoh Imaging web site:
http://www.us.ricoh-imaging.com/products/five_reasons_to_choose_pentax
Pentax also seems sensitive to the Japanese love of all things small
and also of whimsical colors (particularly typified by the Q line).

The thing that nobdy has really talked about is the interesting
features seen on the BACK of the camera. It appears to have the first
touchscreen LCD in Pentax history. The right side of the LCD looks
like the familiar 4-way button.
http://www.photographybay.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/pentax_k-s1_b001.jpg

Meanwhile the familiar 4-way button has been replaced by a much more
complicated button/dial combination. No top LCD... all info is on the
back. I'm guessing that the landing lights are somehow involved in the
self-time countdown function (rather than a single blinking light)
which WOULD make a lot of sense.

--
Photographers must learn not to be ashamed to have their photographs
look like photographs.