Hi Everyone:

I’ve been meaning to recommend two books:

1) The Photographer’s Playbook, eds. Jason Fulford and Gregory Halpern,
Aperture 2014
2) The Street Photographer’s Manual, by David Gibson, Thames & Hudson 2014

The first is packed with 307 assignments and ideas—as well as a really funny
anecdote by photographer and Rockaway Beach park ranger, Able Brown.  Each
assignment is offered by a single photographer, and all 307 photographer bios
are listed in the back of the book—all very accomplished working photographers.
 Obviously, many teach at colleges and universities as well as conduct
workshops.

The second is a beautiful softcover packed with advice, tips, and meaningful
insights on the genre.  My favorite tip is, and I’m paraphrasing here, buy less
gear, buy more photo books.  The photos are great, and the work of well known
street photographers are profiled and critiqued for their virtues.  There is
some technical advice, but the book focuses more so on conceptual approach to
the genre.  I’m not sure some of the suggestions will be new to folks on this
list, but it is still a fun romp through the book.  It confirmed a lot of my
own practices, but the book still inspired many new ideas and approaches.  It’s
been really fun to read.

Cheers, Christine