Thanks, Ken. I felt that I was flying in the face of conventional wisdom by shooting in bright clear sunlight. Those are both 5 exposure composites, with 2 stops between each. The exposures for the second image (with the more distinct trees trunks) ran from 2 seconds to 1/125th, att at ISO 100 and f11. Used a tripod of course. I put a spirit level on the K3 but never looked at it, considering how good the electronic level in live view is.

In terms of post exposure: I combined the 5 images in Photomatix v4.2 using a couple of its techniques, then blended those two images as PS layers and then still did some work on the curves, color balance and saturation.

The K3 produces remarkable detail. I think it rivals or at least comes close to what I can get from 6x7 film, but even it can't handle the contrast of full late morning sun poking through dense foliage.

Mark