I second Zos' recommendation.  If Sam's sold you something bogus, take the
issue up with them.  Even if it's been "about a year" and maybe you can't find
the receipt.

I know CostCo typically extends warranties for devices purchased through them.
If Walmart and their ilk do the same, you might be able to swap that device out
(for a legit one) for the cost of a drive down there.

> On Oct 21, 2014, at 14:56 , Zos Xavius <zosxav...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> do you have receipts? i would raise issue with sam's club....
>
> On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 3:14 PM, P.J. Alling <webstertwenty...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Here's something everyone should be aware of.  I apparently bought a
>> counterfeit USB 3.0 hard drive about a year ago, from a major retailer.  The
>> short story, the local Sam's Club had a pair of Seagate 1TB GoFlex Drives on
>> closeout for the ridiculously low price of $37.00 each.  So I jumped on the
>> deal, and was very happy until about a week ago one of them died.
>>
>> I tried to get a warranty replacement, and I can't.  I need the drive serial
>> number and the one printed on the case isn't an actual Seagate serial
>> number.
>>
>> Now here's the interesting part, as I said, I bought a pair of them, the one
>> that's still working /is/ not counterfeit.  It has an actual Seagate serial
>> number and model number.
>>
>> Now to the naked eye, except for the bogus serial number and bogus model
>> number, the two cases appear to be identical, made of the same materials, in
>> the same factory to the same quality level.  The only difference between the
>> two drives is the silkscreen label on the bottom of the drives, and except
>> serial number and part number, they look identical.
>>

>> --
>> I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve
>> immortality through not dying.
>> -- Woody Allen
>>

>> --
>> PDML Pentax-Discuss Mail List