And  realizing it might be useful to discuss
the actions in hunting this down.

I went to the Wayback Machine http://web.archive.org ...
as mentioned in a preceding post, to be sure of the right addresses and such.

Then did a Google search for Mailman software help ...
the link I looked at that was most useful:
http://www.list.org/mailman-member/node10.html
as it zeroed in on the email interface.