> On Oct 28, 2014, at 1:44 PM, Bruce <bkday...@daytonphoto.com> wrote:
>
> A general comment - for both the subject comes across as being too centered.
> It could be partially aspect ratio, but in any case, I would crop just a bit
> somewhere to shift these.  As the background in both images is not strongly
> contributing, any crop would probably work.  Doing that much would help.
>
> As for each image - I prefer the water lilly.  I think partly because the
> background competes less than in the crocus.  Also, the lighting is more
> pleasing.
>
> In both cases, I would really look to blurring the background more - possibly
> a longer focal length and/or a more wide open shot to really get the
> background to not compete with the subject.

Thanks, Bruce. I hadn’t imagined that centering would detract from the
composition. I’ll have to experiment with croppings. I do understand that with
shots like this blurring the background is desirable. I am learning, slowly, to
check and double-check my settings to make sure they are appropriate to the
situation and the shot.

A couple things I’m not clear about. Regarding the images being "too centered”
you said, “It could be partially aspect ratio.” Do you mean a different aspect
ratio even with a centered image could be more pleasing? And about blurring the
background, I understand the effect of aperture on depth-of-field, but not
focal length.

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eew...@bellsouth.net

"The invincible shield of caring Is a weapon
sent from the sky against being dead."

- Tao Te Ching 67