> If I didn't already own (and am crazy about) the 100-300 f4 ATX, I
> would think I bought a dog lens.  Your shots weren't very
> flattering to say the least.

Well, Ryan, it seems to me that the AT-X 150-500/5.6 is just not as
good a lens as is the AT-X 100-300/4 (which is superb).  (However,
in its defense, the 150-500 is trying to do a different job.)

> Hey, I found a shot with a 2x converter and 800asa film at
> www.northerndisclosure.com. It makes me feel a little better. Go
> to:
> http://www.northerndisclosure.com/ndp/index.cfm?fuseaction=view&subcatid=12
> Then click on Buck One.

A nice shot (although not with a TC).  Of course, it's always
difficult to judge a photo from a scan, but I can't say that this
photo, although a gorgeous capture of a deer, is overly sharp in its
detail, even in the center.

> There are others as well if you look around. Not a bad site.

Yes, I did look around a bit, and saw that the photographer used
this lens (in Nikon mount) for many of the shots.  And he certainly
~does~ have some nice shots...

My main (actually, my ~only~) complaint about the AT-X 150-500/5.6
was that it was soft at the long end of its focal length range.  It
really was nearly as good as the AT-X 100-300/4 up through 300mm,
but it kind of "wimped out" at 400mm to 500mm or so, and I found
that I was using it racked to 500mm most of the time.  (Don't
wildlife lenses always seem "too short"? - <g>)  When I obtained my
A* 600/5.6, I knew right away that the 150-500/5.6 was going on the
chopping - er, the auction - block.

> Actually, only my shots when I get it, will tell me  how good this
> lens is.  I can't wait!

That's the ultimate (and, really, the only important) judgement for
you to make, Ryan.  Only ~you~ can decide how good the lens will be
for ~you~.  (And, heck, maybe I just had a bad copy of the
150-500/5.6 design to start with - <g>.)

Fred