G'day cobbers,

A few days ago I returned from a very enjoyable trip to Straya (as the locals
call it).  I had to wait before resubscribing as pdml.net had reached its
bandwidth limit for the month :(

We started with just over a week in Melbourne where I ran the half marathon in
the running festival.  Biggest race I've ever done, 11,000 people were doing
the half.  I'm used to the field thinning out a bit after the first couple of
km but this was wall-to-wall runners as far as I could see, both ahead and
behind, for the duration of the race.  I ran easy for most of it as I'd been
training through injuries and didn't want any major flareups.  Nevermind the
sore feet from all the sightseeing.

I loved Melbourne, it reminded me a lot of home but it feels more like what
Christchurch should have been.  Next time I might organise a day-trip to check
out Geelong.

After Melbourne we took a train (The Overland) across to Adelaide where we
spent one night before hopping on The Ghan which is one of the country's great
rail journeys.  It takes 3 days to head up to Darwin with excursions in Alice
Springs and Katherine.  We spent two nights in Darwin which I really enjoyed,
then flew down to Sydney for 3 nights there before returning home.

I really wish we could have spent more time in each of those locations,
especially Adelaide and Darwin.  I am really missing the weather.  Our last day
in Sydney was 33°C, the next day back home got up to 11 (today's 25 almost
feels warm enough).

Photos?  Don't hold your breath.  I've downloaded them but haven't even looked
at them yet.

BTW be careful if putting your travel schedule into your calendar.  My wife put
ours into a Google calendar and each time we changed time zones it attempted to
be smart and shift the times - it even did this with full-day events.  Which
would have been great if she hadn't entered everything as local times!  (I
don't know if this is Google's fault or Apple's, at least it's not mine.)

Strewth ya bloody galah,
Bruce... I mean Dave