Christine,

As a few people wrote already, - you may benefit from a monopod for
the steadiness, especially if you are going for anything longer than
200-250 mm on Pentax APS body.

As for what focal length you need, - it depends on what you want:
just a full-height figure, that with the kite, or just the face?
You can use e.g. the 1st calculator here to estimate the size of the image, depending on the size of the object and the distance:
http://www.lensation.de/en/calculators.html

Example: for a 2000 mm (2m) object (~6'6") at a distance of 100 m (~100 yards) and choosing the last option for the image size of 12.8mm (APS-C sensor is 14.8-mm-high, you get the desired focal length of 636 mm. So, a vicinity of 500-600 mm would be just right for that. And that's what Paul has suggested.

HTH,

Igor

Sat Nov 1 09:24:17 EDT 2014