Thanks, but it was Don's comment about moving pianos that triggered a flashback.

On 11/13/2014 6:39 PM, Richard Womer wrote:
John,

Always glad to cause PTSD symptoms.

Rick
http://photo.net/photos/RickW

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 4:45 PM, John <sesso...@earthlink.net> wrote:
On 11/12/2014 11:55 AM, Don Guthrie wrote:

Ah memories... I worked my way through college moving furniture in the
summers. The first day I learned a new maxim : Pianos always go from the
basement of one house to the 2nd story of the next.

The only piano I ever had to move working for a moving company went from
a fourth floor apartment to a third floor music room in a "historic" house.
It was, of course, an antique (1890s) CONCERT GRAND. *BIG*, Rococo, antique
concert
grand on 4 legs.

I was part of the first crew of 4 they sent out. We couldn't even lift
it to sit it on its side so it could be strapped to the piano board.

It took 12 of us to finally move the damn thing.

I've always wondered how they got it up there in the first place. It was
an old, 1930s vintage apartment building & that piano wouldn't have fit
through a window even if they'd been able to maneuver a crane in there to
lift it.

Thinking about it now, it's amazing it hadn't delivered itself to the
basement. It was that heavy.

I'd almost forgotten about it. I'd really like to thank you for
reminding me.

I moved quite a few pianos working for a music store while I was in high
school, but those were always upright pianos that two guys could move
with clamp-on piano dollies on each end.