On 11/14/2014 1:34 PM, Paul wrote:
OOPS!!  Forgot the link to Knoppix...

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-info/index-en.html

-p

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: OT: I am SOOOOOOOOOO happy!
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 12:32:34 -0600
From: Paul <pentax1...@gmail.com>
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List <pdml@pdml.net>

Is everything in the BIOS OK?  Can you update the BIOS to the latest
version without running the OS?

You might try creating a Knoppix disc and booting from that.  You might
have to go into the BIOS and change the boot order so it looks for the
Knoppix disc first.

If that runs OK it would seem the problem is in the HDD.  You said you
had managed to rescue the data, but Knoppix will allow you to mount the
HDD to see if it's working OK or to move data to another disc.

Just mentioning this 'cause Knoppix has saved my bacon a couple times...

-p

Spinright boots from a CD & does a bit by bit examination of the
Hard-drive for bad parts that might corrupt data. If it finds bad spots
it does a multi-pass read to try to determine what data is supposed to
be there - recovers it if it can. If it can't it "marks" it to let you
know you've got an unresolved problem.

Spinright didn't find any problems with the drive.

Memtest86+ does the same - boots from a CD & runs multiple stress tests
- for the memory. It's recommended to let it run at least three passes.
I let it run for 21 and it didn't find any problems with the new memory.
The new memory is at the high end of what the motherboard will support.

I didn't run Memtest86+ on the old memory. It failed all the diagnostic
tests included on the recovery partition so I didn't see any need. The
new memory passed the on-board diagnostics before I ran Memtest86+ on it.

At this point I think I have one of two things - files installed by
Vista from the recovery partition are CRAP *or* the mother-board's
memory controller is shot. Although, I can't rule out BOTH.