On Nov 17, 2014, at 2:49 pm, Brian Walters wrote:

Are there any other alternatives that I've overlooked?

Brian,

There are dedicated photo backup devices with built-in card readers.
The advantage of these devices is that they process the files themselves, and some even do a verification (checksum and/or the full file).
Also, they have a rechargeable battery, so you can backup on the go,
without being plugged into the wall.

I've used an older model Hyperdrive while it was still reasonable, but
then it was outdated because of the size of the HDD that it could support.

The latest model is here:
http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive/UDMA-2/
I looked at it 1-2 months ago, - and unfortunately, it is not USB-3, which means it is relatively slow for transfer to the computer.
I suspect it is not the fastest for the transfer from the cards but
it is still very reasonable.
The price tag is not very small, but it might still be better than
less-intelligent HDDs with just a reader.
BTW, this model allows to preview the photos, and it even understands some RAW format files, - I am not sure if that includes Pentax's RAW, but it should work with DNG.

Note, that these drives are also available from other resellers, e.g. B&H sells them. If I were buying it, I'd buy just the empty shell, and buy a 2.5" HDD separately and insert it. I did that with my older model, and it was very easy.

I am not sure if the rivals's models are still alive (Wolverine, Epson, etc.)

HTH,

Igor