Hi Bill ...

I remember using one of these a couple of years ago.  Mark Dalal had
one, and I fiddled with it a bit.

I liked that little grip thing, and iirc, there was something on the back that
made for better gripping as well.  The camera didn't feel as solid as the
ME S., as you noted.

I've never understood the need for all the automation, but I guess that's
understandable coming from a guy whose newest cameras are more than
20 years old.  I still don't know what "program mode" is and how the "A"
setting on the A-series lenses works.

Speaking of modes, I think I understand how hyper-mode works, in that
the user can change the aperture or shutter speed by just turning a little
dial, and they remain in synch with one another.  Anyway, that's how i
remember it being explaine.  Well, to my surprise, I discovered that same
feature on 40+ year old Rolleiflexes.  It's rather neat.

04/18/2002 21:13:57 PM, "William Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Hi Shel,
>
>I've got a couple of them.  The biggest plus for me over my ME Super is
>DOF preview.  Other niceties are a viewfinder display that works great
>in decent or bright light. It is a backlit LCD at the bottom of the
>finder image. I think that it's awful in low light.  Sure, there is an
>illuminator button, but it is awkward to reach, and none to bright when
>you do manage to activate it.  The viewfinder magnification is less than
>an ME Super, which can be nice if you wear eyeglasses because
itmakes
>the whole image easier to view at once (at least for me).  It supports
>TTL flash, though as I recall, you're not much of a flash user.  It
>usually comes with a little detachable grip that I feel makes for easier
>holding than the earlier "M" cameras.  This must be taken off to mount a
>motor drive or winder.  I'm not sure the name of the motor, but the
>winder is the Winder MEII.
>
>With "A" series lenses (or later) you pick up shutter priority and
>program operation.  Otherwise, it's Aperture priority or manual.  Camera
>selected aperture is available in the viewfinder in Shutter priority or
>Program modes only.  Shutter speeds can be user selected from 15
seconds
>to 1/2000.  Self timer is electronic and beeps and flashes as it counts
>down.
>
>I don't think that it feels as solid as an ME or ME Super. Also, it is
>not as quiet and it feels rather "jumpy" when I make an exposure.  I
>haven't noticed pictures taken with it are any less sharp than with
>other cameras.
>
>Generally, I like using them slightly less than my ME Super or ME (or
>ZX-5n too,) but there are times when some of the advantages make it
the
>camera of choice.  If I didn't have them, I would look to replace at
>least one immediately.
>
>Hope this helps,
---
Shel Belinkoff