Yeah, same here. Everything is going to the dogs - a big shortage of locos & wagons mostly because of poor maintenance. (At the moment the majority of freight is transported by thousands of 26 wheelers carrying 40 ton loads. 60 trucks & trailers = 1 block train. We have 1500 operating between Phalaborwa & Maputo carrying 500 loads of magnetite per day, destined for China. The roads are a disaster, not to speak of the accidents). Transnet is in the process of procuring "replacements" where you get one for the price of two. They are also talking about privatising branch lines. There are still a couple of steam branch lines for the tourists which are operated privately. The most famous, the Outeniqua Choo-Choo, between George & Knysna, is no more thanks to floods washing a away several sections of track & not enough money to do the repairs.

BTW, did my first MB race the other day. Borrowed a bike. Punctured after 12km & had to jog the last 8 but still beat a lot of riders.

Alan C

-----Original Message----- From: David Mann
Sent: Thursday, November 27, 2014 10:26 AM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: *** SPAM ***PESO: A Good Head Of Steam

Thanks for the comments, Alan. Rail in this country is being crapped on by underinvestment by successive governments. The lines are falling apart and there's no political motivation to repair them. Here's an example of a local authority who are trying to rescue the situation.
http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/regional/260192/lifeline-for-gisborne-napier-rail-link
$4m is probably the weekly pothole budget for the highways.

I've had another look at the photo now that the sun has gone down (we've had stunning weather today) and have dropped the shadows a bit. Same url as before but for comparison I've put the old photo at:
http://www.multi.net.nz/weka-pass-orig.jpg

BTW that steam was LOUD.

Cheers,
Dave