I've never graded homeworks or papers outdoors, as a TA or as a professor.
However, my roommate in the grad school was surprised I was grading homeworks in front of a TV.
I suspect that the reason could be to avoid distractions in the office.

As for the vents and the cold weather, - it might be that there is warm air coming out of those vent holes, - hence the choice of the place.

Igor