Hi Everyone:

Well, I just finished watching the Vivian Maier documentary, which I purchased
from iTunes.  I do recommend a look-see.  They’ve made great progress in
learning more about her life etc, so definitely worth a watch for those
discoveries.  Hearing her voice via some of her tape recordings and seeing
footage from her 8mm film camera was really interesting.  Also, Joey Meyerowitz
makes a lot of really interesting comments—both generally about street
photography and specifically about Maier’s work, and photographer Mary Ellen
Mark (who I don’t know much about) states Maier is “Robert Frank with a square
format.”

Maloof states it was after the exhibition at the Chicago Cultural Center that
the world began to take notice of her story and photographs.  If you remember,
I attended that exhibition and wrote a little piece for a PDMLers photo blog.
A camera crew was present and footage from that exhibition is included in this
documentary.

Which brings me to the surprise:  I’m in the documentary!  If you watch the
piece, around 9:43 or there about, look to the left of frame and you’ll see me
in my tan suede parka with my tan Domke bag cross body.  My camera is also
around my neck.  I have dark hair and funny looking black glasses. You’ll have
to look quick because I’m just there for a few fleeting nano seconds!  What a
hoot!

But, you’ll want to really watch the documentary for the story of the artist
and her work—that’s the important point here.  I don’t want to say too much to
spoil it for you, but trust me when I say it’s a compelling story and you’ll
see photos you probably haven’t seen before—and because the archive is so huge,
there’s lots more left to discover.

Cheers, Christine