Bill Peifer wrote:

>Mark Roberts wrote:
>> Anyone know if they're making chromogenic x-ray film? It would seem
>> to be a natural cost-saver in terms of silver recycling.
>> Why do I suspect that Bill Peifer will have information on this? ;-)
>
>Hmmm, interesting idea!  I'm not aware of any efforts in that direction.
>From what I've heard, the big threat to X-ray film profits is the conversion
>to digital.  The cost of converting to digital is probably easier for
>hospitals to justify, since I'm sure they're paying through the nose for
>FDA-regulated X-ray film.  If chromogenic X-ray film ~were~ available,
>guess that would mean all hospitals would have to convert to C-41 chemistry
>for developing, right?  I wonder if you could save enough in silver
>recycling to pay for the cost of converting over to C-41?  (Or would there
>even be a significant cost for converting?)

Cost for converting might be significant. Don't know what kind of equipment
they use now, come to think of it. I'll have to ask my S.O. and see if she
knows (or perhaps one of her orthopedic friends can tell me). I never thought
about the possibility of digital imaging for x-rays. Now that is interesting.
No more pinning those broken bones, just fix 'em with Photoshop!

>By the way, hope your recent trip to Boston to cover the marathon was a
>success.  Any pictures to share yet?

Some pretty good shots but nothing really special. I'll have some one my
web page this weekend I hope. Weather was too warm for runners which meant
that is was great for spectators. Large crowds made it tough to get good
shots on the course. And once again, the driver of the press bus made a
wrong turn coming back to Boston and I was late getting to Kenmore Square.

Tomorrow I'm off to Jacksonville, Florida and Jeckyl Island, Georgia for
a week of landscape and wildlife shooting. Looking forward to it.

--
Mark Roberts
www.robertstech.com