Wendy, the flat look would be from the light pointing straight at him
from pretty much directly over my head, and his unusual fur. The
Russian Blue breed has a double coat: a soft, matte undercoat, and a
guard coat with silver tips. You can see a brilliant sheen around him
if he's backlit, so I'll be testing that lighting arrangement next. :)

Here's a different shot taken at a slight angle:
https://500px.com/photo/94109259/gandalf-by-bruce-walker

Thanks Wendy, and also Godfrey, Ann, Jack, Attila and Bulent.

--
-bmw