Steve Cottrell Fri, 02 Jan 2015 08:15:22 -0800

On 2/1/15, Steve Cottrell, discombobulated, unleashed:

>24p will produce 24 separate images in one second of video. 24i will
>produce 24 frames of 2-fields each = 48 separate images in one second of
>video. The 24p will be a bit more 'jittery' giving a film-like look. 24i
>will be a smoother 'video' look.

I got that slightly wrong - 24p would equate to 48i and so on.

In the UK (PAL) we shoot 25p and 50i. 50i = 50 fields interlaced = 25
frames per second.

I know, it's confusing :)

Speaking of 24i, - I'd say you have 48 separate half-images:
24 images with only even lines, and 24 images with only odd lines.

I am not an expert, but in my understanding, the correct[ed] statement would be as follows: 48i would be somewhat similar in quality to 24p, while 24p is slightly better (resolution-wise) for [quasi-]static images, and 48i would be better for dynamic scenes (e.g. sports).

I think this short write-up covers the different frame rates+scan type
combination in a practically reasonable fashion:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowledge-center/video-frame-rates-24p-25p-30p-60i.html

Best,

Igor