I realised the other day that northern hemispherians don't get to associate
this flower with Christmas.  A quick check with Google indicates that you might
know it as the Easter lily.

http://gallery.multi.net.nz/photo/843/#peso

Down here, if you plant them at the right time they'll flower on or just before
Christmas Day.  We only had one plant this year and it was a little bit late.

The flowers have a strong scent; to most in these parts it's the smell of
Christmas.  Some people can't stand it but I love it.  It immediately invokes
childhood memories of Christmas.

Cheers,
Dave