Last summer I managed to get a lot of dust and crude on the view screen of my K-3, so I wound up giving it a good cleaning with canned air. A lot of the stuff went onto the sensor, so I blasted it as well without thinking about it. Lo and behold, everything came out nice and clean. I had always been skeptical about using canned air on a sensor, but after this experience I figured that it was OK after all.

SO, today before going out to take snow flake photos I gave the K-01 sensor a good blast with a canned air. Looking at my first results - the photos were incredibly spotty and speckled. At first I thought the glass I shoot the crystals on was dirty, but then I noticed a few distinctive spots and speckles that were on each and every frame. So I tested the sensor for dust by putting on a 90mm macro lens, stopping down to f32, and placing the camera face down on a light table.

Here's one of the snowflake shots that alerted me to the issue and the sensor test on the light table:

http://www.markcassino.com/b2evolution/index.php/imgp8714-jpg-1?blog=9

Click the images for a larger file.

I always figured that the problem with canned air would be that it would burp up propellant onto the sensor - but in this case the issue is apparently droplets of oil or something like that. Also - I have used this can to "clean" several rolls of film before scanning. Maybe I should go back and look for the spots because I never noticed them. My guess is that the film grain hides any spots that appear.

I had a few old sensor swabs and a bottle of Eclipse E2 fluid here and was able able to get the sensor cleaned up just fine. It has been years since I did a wet cleaning of a camera sensor. The can of air I used today was 3M, in the past I had used Office Depot's store brand (which is what worked fine on the K-3 sensor). Since the canned air has worked fine int he past, I guess it is simply a difference in quality between brands or maybe I just held the can at the wrong angle today. At any rate - I am not using canned air on sensors any more!

---
is active.