Igor wrote:

> Here is an article in The Guardian:
> http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/jonathanjonesblog/2015/feb/03/i
> nstagram-generation-amateur-photographers-art-plagiarism
>
> While the article raises some interesting questions, I disagree with
> some of the statements the author makes. E.g. he suggests that you
> cannot "take really great pictures" on a cruise. And that's because
> more than one person can take similar pictures there.
> That's total nonsense!
> He also implies that ones there is a view, different photographers are
> bound to take similar photo (unlike artists, who are bound to paint
> different paintings).
>
> If I were to translate that to a different setting: people will not get
> "really great pictures" at GFM, because they all see the same
> wonderfully looking views.
>
> I wonder what other PDMLers think about this...

You could put three photographers in an empty garden shed, and they would
come back with different images. The photograph in question, even using the
same tripod and camera set up, could have had different filters and been
cropped and processed a dozen different ways.

As for the artist comment, I thought photographers were artists who painted
with light?

Cheek.

Malcolm