Malcolm, while I understand what you meant, -- the photographers who are "hooked" on a particular system and have invested in the glass, etc.
But that's only part of the picture.
Your conclusion is based on the assumption that there is no movement on the DSLR market. First of all, there are always newcomers, for whom it could be the 1st DSLR (or the first FF DSLR).
Second, if it is a successful camera accompanied by a good set of lenses
("good" and "successful" include technical and financial aspects), then some people might switch to "Pentax system" when considering transition from the relatively crappy entry-level Canon APS DSLRs.[*] ... Or even from the entry-level Canon FF DSLRs and optics ... just because a good quality would be more affordable with Pentax.

=====
[*] I haven't looked at the recent entry models of Canon DSLRs, but the earlier Digital Rebels (as well as film Rebels) were so-so. They were so mediocre that I stopped looking at them at anywhat serious contenders, when I was choosing my second SLR (first advanced one), and again, when considering a DSLR.

Igor