There were 3-4 different versions of that lens.

Mine is the older (oldest?), ("the original"?) Tokina AT-X Pro 28-70 f/2.6-2.8. And that's the only version I used.
I loved it with the film camera, even though I am
somewhat disappointed with its performance with all 3 digital bodies I've
tried it on.

Then there was the same lens with the designation "II"
The others were: Tokina AT-X 28-70/2.8  (not "PRO") and
Tokina AT-X Pro 28-80/2.8, and also
Tokina AT-X Pro 28-70/2.8 SV.
The non-PRO version had rotating front element, and IIRC, 72mm filter.
The rest had 77mm filter.

SV was lighter and reportedly not as good as the preceeding versions.
See, e.g. comments here:
http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/276-tokina-af-28-70mm-f28-26-at-x-pro-ii-lab-test-report--review?start=1

HTH,

Igor