----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Subject: Re: The Don's Photo show

> In a message dated 4/20/2002 4:49:50 PM Central Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>

> > I also saw what might well be my first digital camera. The
Lisle
> > Kelco guy had a (soon to be released) Leica Digilux I
digital
> > camera. It is a bit big, has a Leitz 2x zoom lens (I think
it
> > was 22mm to 44mm), a nice big and sharp view screen, with a
flip
> > up shade, reminiscent of a TLR shade. It also has full
manual
> > control for exposure and focus, which I liked, as well as
the
> > usual automated exposure controls. There is also a hot shoe
on
> > top, so the thing isn't tied to the built in flash. The
camera
> > is 4MP, and will have a street price of ~CAN$1400.00
> >

> I have some questions about the Leica digital, for someone
who's actually
> seen it -- you, for instance. How does it do manual focus, and
is there a
> distance scale on the lens?

No distance scale on the lens. The focus ring is on the lens,
but I think it drives a motor in the lens. There is no focus
indication in the finder, but there is on the screen. Focus
confirmation is based on the center of the screen, but I think
manual focus could be done adequately on the view screen. It
seemed better than the Canon and Nikon digitals that I have
seen.

William Robb