Thanks Alan. My first magazine editor at Hearst’s Motor Magazine insisted that
I learn to shoot pans for the mag’s new car previews. He gave me a few quick
lessons, and I pretty much had to keep trying until I got it right. I
eventually learned that I had to twist my  torso at the start of the pan, pick
up the vehicle early, follow it,  and make sure I was facing straight ahead and
in a comfortable position when I opened the shutter. Continuing to track the
car after the exposure is important as well. Your mindset has to be on smoothly
tracking the car rather than tripping the shutter. The camera move is one
smooth sweep accomplished with torso rotation and with the shot coming right
near the middle. With a car moving at about 30 mph, I like to shoot pans with a
longer lens, 135 to maybe 200 in APSC, and with a shutter speed of about 1/30th
to 1/60th second.

No I haven’t tried the coloring option. Where in PhotoShop is it?