On 2015-03-05 7:39 , Darren Addy wrote:
But I use the same equipment for my personal photography. I
like the idea of using my work computer for the catalog, because of
the automated backups, and the massive amount of HD space I have here
as opposed to home. If I purchase the photographer's Lightroom CC for
photographers ($9.99/mo) and put the catalog on my work computer, can
I still edit images in the catalog from home?

i could be wrong, but to me the "cloud" features in Lightroom don't seem quite ready for a "store once, edit anywhere" workflow, so i think sneakernet is would be the simplest way to accomplish this; Stanley outlined how to work with portions of your catalog, but i'd be inclined to just transport the whole thing (images plus catalog)

external hard drives are really cheap these days (5GB for < $150); i would get a couple and be careful with backups, because schlepping hard drives increases the risk of failure or loss

How would you recommend
setting things up to differentiate between my personal and work
images?

sounds like you would want to create separate catalogs; i suggest your personal photography should be on a external drive that you bring to and from work

What happens if I do this and ever leave my place of employment?

i wouldn't mingle the photos — keep separate catalogs from the start