On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 6:13 AM, Steve Cottrell <co...@seeingeye.tv> wrote:
> Okay, it's obviously a perception you and/or others have. I'm genuinely
> just curious as to where/how you (possibly) acquired it?

It is something that all Americans and Europeans have been told for
many decades.  I don't know how it got started, or when, but the
public image and reputation are undeniable.

As I said, although I often heard it, I never actually believe it to
be more than a legend or an attempt at humor.  I had always been
educated to keep an open mind.

Before my first trip to Europe, I had always heard that Germans were
disciplined, regimented, militaristic and jingoistic, while the Swiss
were independent, individualistic, health conscious and politically
neutral.  In my first border crossings (back in those days we had to
stop and show our passports), the German border guards were extremely
casual, and had shed much of their uniforms in the summer warmth.
They saw the color of our passport covers, saw we were Americans, and
waved us through with a cigarette in hand.  Almost no German flags
were evident anywhere.  The Swiss border guards, however, behaved with
military precision, carefully examined our passports page by page, and
questioned us about our purpose and intentions.  Swiss patriotism was
always on display with the Swiss, Cantonal and City flags flying on
every structure.  Expecting muesli for breakfast every morning, I was
greeted with a huge selection of cold cuts, cheeses, breads, jams and
butter, with as many calories as the notorious "full Irish breakfast."

All nationalities promote stereotypes of other peoples;  It is easier
than thinking.

Dan

Dan Matyola