That's quite interesting. Last time I went to Ethiopia I travelled south on a
clapped-out old bus and sat next to a Rastafarian who was on his way to
Jamaica, near Shashemene, which is the parcel of land Haile Selassie gave to
the rastas. We stopped for a break halfway and had some fried things at the
roadside, which the rasta said were Johnny cakes, and were apparently the exact
same thing as in Jamaica, West Indies. He claimed that they were 'journey'
cakes because you eat them at halts on a journey. I have no idea whether that's
true or not.