On B&W film the colors are represented by grey tones.

Red darkens foliage & dramatically increases contrast in cloudy skies.
It lightens skin tones in portraiture.

Orange is similar to red, but not quite so much.

Yellow darkens skin tones in portraiture & slightly increases contrast
in cloudy skies.

Green lightens foliage, slightly darkens skies & gives pleasing darker
skin tones.

Blue lightens the sky & lowers contrast.

Neutral density filters reduce the amount of light without affecting
tonal values. You can use them to lengthen exposure time if you're going
for a blur effect.

SPLIT neutral density filters can be used to reduce the amount of light
coming from part of the scene when you need to balance it with other
parts of the scene, e.g. reduce a bright sky while maintaining a higher
exposure value for earth below.

http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/gear/more-gear/gadget-bag/filters-for-b-and-w-photography.html