Reading previous responses, I had another old thought brought up to the surface (and some corollaries). 1. If a photographer takes a photograph of person A, (a photo session or a candid portrait), A buys (can buy) that photo. In the absence of any explicit contract clause related to this, can yet another person, B, buy the photo of A?

From the logic discussed in response to my earlier questions, - the answer
is "No" (or rather "not really").

If both A and B are in the photograph (a "group photo"), - then both A and B can buy it. Now, if we consider the case in between the two, - how much [*] of "B" must be in the photo to be able to buy the photo of A?
[*] - What portion, e.g. a head, a portion of it, a hand, ..., or, -
in what capacity (in the foreground, in the background).
While this is primarily an "academic" consideration, - there could be a practical case. E.g. if A is a celebrity walking on the street, and B is passing by while the photograph is taken, managing to "get into the picture". At what point can B _legally_ buy that photo?

2. And yet a different branch of the same thought process is related to the studio question (1a in the previous message, below). I guess there is a way how the studio can argue the legality: If the instructor is present in the group photo, then the photo can be legally purchased by (or on behalf) of the instructor. Then, it is now the relation between the studio and its employee. So, assuming that the instructor does not object the deal (sort of, the instructor hand the picture on the studio's wall), then it is ok.

[The legality of such a transaction between the instructor and the studio, especially since it involves a financial consideration, namely the salary, is a grey area; it is too complicated to discuss it here.]

3. And finally, can a third party, C, _legally_ comission (a financial transaction) a photo (say, as a piece of art) of a person A without a release from A? (And not for the purpose of news publication.) Because an alternative view of the same question is: can the photographer make money legally from the photograph of A without a release? And, from what I know, the answer to the latter formulation of the question is "no".

If the answer to the first formulation is "no" (C cannot legally comission a photo of A without a permission from A), then some might already see a legal solution to that situation: C comissions the photographer to take a photo of A, while asking B to be in it. Then B allows C to have the photo that he legally buys from C.

[My inquisitive mind is starting thinking: in that case, would it be legal for C to cut off a portion of the photo that contains "B". But let's not venture into that.]

In all of this, I assume that the photo is otherwise taken legally (e.g. on a public property, in a situation without an expectation of privacy, not presenting the person in a wrong way, etc.)

I would be curious to hear what different PDMLers think about these logical exercises. (I hope that maybe even the lurking Pentaxian, laywer, M.G. would share his informal opinion.)

Cheers,

Igor