Alan,

I am not sure if this is related or not: With both K-7 and K-5iiS,
I experienced the same thing: over the time they both developed the problem that the flash would not make a consistent contact. To make the contact, I need to wiggle it around to find "the right position". It looks like if I use something (e.g. a pencil eraser) to rub on the contacts, the situation improves (it might be a placebo effect though), even though I don't see any visual difference with the contacts.

The symptoms (when the flash does not have the proper contact) are that the flash indicator in the view finder is not steady prior to the shot, but blinking if the light is insufficient, as if no flash was attached.
The outcome is that the flash goes off, but TTL metering doesn't work.

Your situation might be different.

Igor