On 24/04/2015 11:45 PM, Bob W-PDML wrote:
On 25 Apr 2015, at 01:03, Bill <anotherdrunken...@gmail.com> wrote:

The thing is that the people who were using pirated copies of
Photoshop, etc. were, for the most part, people who would never have
bought it if they couldn't get it free – professionals overwhelmingly
buy their software legally. So no matter how many pirated copies were
in circulation, Adobe was really losing very little revenue from
piracy.

I think that's a little disingenuous. It's in the same train of thought of
since I will never buy a Ferrari it's OK if I steal one from the dealership.

Naturally I disagree with people stealing Photoshop, or Ferraris or whatever
else, but the analogy is incorrect since copying a piece of software doesn't
deprive anyone else of the software or (assuming the thief would never have
bought it) deprive the seller of revenue, whereas if I stole a car the
legitimate owner no longer has it and can't get any revenue from it. In that
sense I'd say pirating software is a lesser crime than stealing a car.

A better analogy is photocopying a book rather than buying it, and photocopying
it is a lesser crime than stealing it. But still a crime.

My girlfriend was a little bit pregnant once.