It does not disable the auto focus. However, with a DSLR, when not using live view, the focusing is based on visible light which is somewhat different from visible light. My understanding is that with off the sensor focusing (compact, mirrorless or DSLR in live view mode) the focusing is based on the IR light and is accurate.

Mark