DOF is essentiially the same for same optical magnification, but not for same magnification done via non optical pp tricks.

On 5/30/2015 4:20 PM, Larry Colen wrote:

Bulent Celasun wrote:
I had asked a similar question recently at another forum.
The answer was
"for the same magnification"
DOF is "practically" the same.

So, there was nothing to be won by using either of the 100mm or 180 mm lenses
(my question involved these on a medium format body)
as long as the magnification was the same.

That was my thought, and a test would be straightforward enough, but I figured that others had already done something similar.

I wonder if cropping in post processing, rather than optical magnification would make any difference. I.e. shoot with a 35mm lens from twice as far away, then crop in closer. Similar to using a 35 on an APS and a 50 on an FF.